An ATG Global Consumer Trend study found that 90% of customers consider live chat helpful and an emarketer.com survey found that 63% were more likely to return to a website that offers live chat. The report goes on to say:
62% reported being more likely to purchase from the site again. A further 38% of respondents said they had made their purchase due to the chat session itself. All these attitudes were even more prevalent among respondents who bought online at least weekly.
The good news is that a live chat service like the one you can see on clients sites such as Amanaki Hotel and Le Vasa Resort can be set up in minutes and generating sales immediately. Better still costs range from free to not very much.
1) Selecting a Live Chat Service
Basically live chat is a plug-in which can be added to any website. The Hotel Link Solutions websites make this a really easy job with a simple field where you paste the code provided by your supplier meaning you can be live in minutes. Live Chat providers you can check out include.
2) Setting Live Chat Up
If you are using a Hotel Link Solutions website, once the account is created with your live chat provider, insert the HTML code provided by the live chat tool into the field ‘Live Chat’ under the Website Settings page. Save and you’re done.
If you are using another provider for your website you will need to install it yourself or ask your webmaster to do it for you.
When you are setting up the live chat box think about:
– Adding a larger header to make the chat box very visible.
– Customising the colour of the chat box to best suit your website.
3) Using Live Chat
Some feedback we have gathered to help you win with this service.
– Make sure the service is open/live during working hours and during the working hours of your key source markets. You can answer chat on your mobile device at any time and you can have two or more people with chat accounts to make sure you cover different time zones.
– Create some live chat specials. We have seen a clever use of promo codes during chat conversations with potential clients, set-up just to close a sale. What these accommodations have done is set up specials in their booking engine, one for say a 5% discount, and another for a 10% discount triggered by a promo code. They can then drop the respective promo code into the discussion at any time in order to secure the sale. Works really well.
Live chat is one of the ‘Always On’ recommendations we make in our comprehensive Guide to Online Marketing for Accommodations. We’d strongly recommend you download this eBook and explore the many other tips provided to both grow sales and grow profits for your business.